onsdag 15 juni 2016

Miss Fisher and human skulls

I have been wanting to do a Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries episodes analysis in order and this is not an entirely thorough analysis of episode 2x08 The Blood of Juana the Mad, but a small comment on an aspect of the episode that I have been thinking about. It might also be a little too confusing since I am really exhausted tonight. I have just started excavating a Viking Age burial ground and even though I am happy as can be over it (Burials and the Viking Age are my favourites!!!), this is something that I thought and wondered about. The thoughts might also derive from the fact that I am exposed to bones and skeletons (even more than usual!) because of my current work situation.

Hugh Collins finding the skull
The episode is about the murder of Professor Katz at the university and Phryne's best friend, the doctor Elizabeth MacMillan, calls in both her and Detective Inspector Jack Robinson to investigate. A human skull comes to play a rather important part in solving the case. I will not spoil who's skull it is or what part it plays in the investigation, because that is not really relevant in this case.

I am not an expert on early 20th century history, especially not in Australia. However, I think I know a thing or two about bones. I have studied Osteology and as an archaeologist I do come into contact with them a lot in my professional life. Lately I have also been interested in the skull collection of Anders and Gustaf Retzius since I have gained an interest in the more recent past from my research about colonialism and European imperialism.

As a human body decompose, it kind of falls apart in a rather predictable way. Among other things, the lower jaw gets detached from the skull, having been attached to the skull only by muscles and soft tissues. In the episode 2x08, The Blood of Juana the Mad however, on the skulls left on display in the university, all the lower jaws are left attached. There is even a moment, when Phryne breaks them apart and Professor Bradbury gets irritated because of it.


I have been trying to find out what the norm for lower jaws in osteological collections was at the time. I have not been able to find much information about it, but based on photos and oral and written sources I have manage to find out that normally the skulls were the main focus of cranial collections and the lower jaw were not seldom left out. If the skulls were put on display, the lower jaw often accompanied it by being placed underneath. It was attached (with a metal thread) if the whole skeleton was put together for displaying and research purposes and the like. Taken away from the rest of the jaw might still be attached to the skull.


There are no good enough pictures of the skull important for the plot to see if there are any metal threads attached to it. When Mac is handling it in the picture above, the lower jaw is definitely attached to the skull in question. When it comes to the jaw Phryne breaks apart there seems to be some sort of metal screw to it in the middle of the upper jaw. If this was used to hold the lower jaw is not clear. They obviously knew the skull and lower jaw to be seperated in episode 2x02, Death comes knocking. This was also a buried body and not one on display.


This probably is not exactly relevant to anything and it certainly does not say anything about the case or episode, but it got me thinking because it was something that might go against my schooling and thought about.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar